About the Focke-Wulf Fw190 F-8
German successes during the beginning of World War 2 were brought about by "Blitzkriegs" and showed the effectiveness of combined ground and air-to-ground support tactics. The Ju87 Stuka dive bomber was active and successful during this period; however, by 1942 it was obsolete and unsuitable, especially in speed and maneuverability.
While the allied forces steadily moved forward, the air-to-ground attack for German forces took on more importance. A replacement for the Ju87 was required, and took on more importance. A replacement for the Ju87 was required, and the Focke-Wulf Fw190, which established itself as a mainstay fighter for the Luftwaffe, was found to be adaptable to this role due to its robust construction and versatility. The Fw190 went into service as a ground attack fighter in 1943, with the designation of Fw 190F. It was based on the Fw 190A airframe, but had additional armor protection around the cockpit and powerplant. The outboard 20mm guns were deleted and underwing weapons racks were installed.
As with the A-4 and later version Fw's the "F" series had the small radio mast on the tip of the fin, and to provide better visibility a blown canopy was introduced during this period. This canopy was in short supply so not all aircraft used it. The F-8 appeared in April 1944 and was the most widely produced Fw190 of the "F" series. European air superiority was already held by the allies, and the Fw190 F-8 was in action during this final stage of the conflict.